In an excellent article called “Build your digital footprint in a hub and spoke model” Drew McLellan suggests everyone needs a hub that all their online and offline content point back to. He explains how using a hub/spoke model will increase your visibility on the web. A therapist being found by new clients on the web and with Google is now accepted as a critical factor in the development of a successful practice. When I apply this principle to therapist marketing the hub is the place where you ultimately want people to land when they are looking for a psychotherapist.
I think for most therapist, their hub should be their website. This is where you present the best picture of who you are as a therapist, all your contact information and valuable content (articles or blog). As Drew explains “… the logic behind this is pretty straightforward:
- You want to point all your links and backlinks to the same place — the spot you want Google to drive people to.
- You don’t want to spread out the Google juice — you want it concentrated on your hub location. The more links and juice pointed at the same place, the higher your ranking.
- You want people to find your best thinking, depth of knowledge and most authoritative voice — typically a blog or website.
- You want the search engines to drive people to where they can actually connect with you — human to human.”
So if you look at the above chart, it is a representation of what you may have as content both online and offline. In the center is your website. Then around the hub is all your content that should direct everyone that comes across it to your website. So here are some questions to check out your wheel/hub:
1) Do you have a hub?
2) If you have do not have one presently should you be looking at getting one built?
3) If the hub is your website. Is it up to the requirements of being your hub? Is should:
- Be well designed both for aesthetics and usability.
- Give the best possible picture of who you are as a therapist.
- Have all your contact information.
- Contain valuable content (articles or blog).
- Do you have your website address on everything?
- (If you are usually ahead of the marketing curve) have you added a QR Code to your business card? ( We will be doing a post on how to do this watch for it)
- That all your social media profiles have your website address.
As part of MHP’s practice management system we offer our therapist a directory listing with a link back to their website. We also produce and send a monthly client newsletter that can be branded with your logo and a link back to your website. So if you do not have these 2 important items as part of your hub or need more information about managing your practice click on the link to our Information Page- or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org